Lead Distributed Data Engineer (Remote)
As a Distributed Data Engineer, you’ll be part of a small product team collaborating cross-functionally to design, build, ship, maintain, and improve the next version of our data ingestion and processing engine. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in distributed data systems and data streaming applications and databases who can run the project and interact directly with our API engineers to help them build our public API. In addition to gaining experience at a fast-growing start-up serving the cryptocurrency investor community, you’ll also have a tremendous impact on our architecture: defining and owning our next-generation back-end data ingestion system.
Some of your contributions will include:
- Collaborating with our API team to provide the data they need to build the next version of our API.
- Writing robust, well-tested code, ensuring that the team has the confidence to make changes and iterate quickly.
- Build fault-tolerant, highly-available, and highly-scalable systems to support the exponential growth of our data
- Build a data-ingestion engine to gather data from hundreds of cryptocurrency exchanges via our integration specification API
- Compute many levels of aggregation on the raw data ingested in real-time
- Expose the data via both HTTP GET requests and also Websocket streams to our API team
- Owning our data ingestion pipeline
Required experience and skills:
- 3+ years in software engineering data-intensive applications
- 1+ years experience with data streaming systems (e.g. Kafka, Flink, Spark Streaming, Samza)
- 1+ years experience with distributed databases (e.g. Cassandra, DynamoDB, Cosmos, Bigtable)
- Autonomous, organized, and disciplined technical leader
- Strong communication, planning, and estimation skills
- Dedication to honesty, transparency, and kindness
- Automated testing as part of your development workflow
Bonus experience and skills:
- Financial data processing
- Protobuf, Thrift, or Avro
- Distributed Tracing
Finally, because Nomics is a fully remote team, you should be comfortable working remotely and communicating asynchronously. You are in charge of your own work environment that works best for you. We are a Slack-free workplace.
- Communication - You are concise and articulate in speech and writing. You listen well and seek to understand before reacting. You maintain calm poise in stressful situations to draw out the clearest thinking. You provide candid feedback to colleagues. You can articulate what you are, and are not, trying to do.
- Creativity - You create useful new ideas. You minimize complexity and find time to simplify. You re-conceptualize issues to discover solutions to hard problems. You welcome change.
- Judgment - You identify root causes, and go beyond treating symptoms. You challenge assumptions and strive to propose solutions when practical. You make wise decisions despite ambiguity and use data to inform your intuition. You think strategically and make decisions based on the long term. You define your desired goals and work backward from there.
- Integrity - You are known for candor, authenticity, transparency, and being non-political. You only say things about fellow employees that you say to their face. You admit mistakes and apologize freely and openly. You treat people with respect independent of their status or disagreement with you.
Nomics is an equal opportunity employer; we are passionate about creating an inclusive environment that upholds the dignity of all people and celebrates a diversity of thought, backgrounds, and experiences.